For many it’s a little known fact, but Reebok is actually a subsidiary of Adidas. The two companies officially joined forces in 2006 but Reebok still has its own identity. The name comes from the Afrikaans spelling of rhebok, a type of African gazelle.
A lot of runners who have been around for awhile seem to think that Reebok has gone off the deep end as an athletic shoe but in a way it feels like the brand is up for a revival. As of this year Reebok has started to revive their identity with the 15-20 crowd. In doing so they hope to become the official brand for up and coming elite athletes.
. Reebok is an affordable athletic brand for men and women. Their sale prices run as low as $34.99 right now but their regular priced shoes start at $54.00. The Overrun DMX is available in both men’s and women’s styles. It’s a basic running shoe with respectable technology and long lasting comfort at a low price.
Reebok’s most expensive shoe is their Men’s Premier Trinity KFS IV. This $129.99 shoe comes with wick away upper technology and a flexible fit that reacts to sudden changes in movement. It’s highly cushioned and ready to move. The most expensive women’s shoe is ten dollars cheaper at $119. Their Premier SmoothFit KFS VII has a wick away upper and KineticFit upper that reacts to all your movements.
Most Popular Models
. Ever since Reebok’s Premier Verona KFS II won the Runner’s World Best Debut Shoe Award in 2008 the $95 shoe has been a best seller for the brand. Other bestsellers include the Men and Women’s Zig Pulse and the RunTone Action. The Zig Pulse is provides a lightweight soft and springy ride while providing a comfortable fit while the RunTone Action boasts eight air pockets that will get you running stronger and harder by building lower leg muscles.
Advantages of Reebok
- Though it doesn’t have the same overall awareness as programs like NikeID, Reebok has its own custom design site that lets you create your own custom shoes for delivery within 2-3 weeks.
- Reebok is currently working with Armani to design an exclusive, innovative running shoe that makes major gains in the design department.
- Reebok’s overall brand image seems positioned for a resurgence so we might start seeing new, great things from the brand.
Disadvantages of Reebok
- Reebok has suffered from a few low years that hit their brand image pretty significantly. Even though it’s a big brand it’s not all that well known as a running brand.
- Somewhere along the way they became known as not affordable, but cheap. This seems to be changing though.
- Word on the street is that Reebok shoes are neither light nor extremely stable.
- Reebok doesn’t do a great job of educating their consumers on what the difference between Motion Control Shoes are from Stability shoes when it comes to different models in their lineup.
. Reebok tends to have a divided camp in terms of comfort. I’ve heard people rave and I’ve heard people rant. Their shoes in the past have always been especially wide and they tend to be a bit heavy for their lack of stability. For some people though, they love the overall fit as well as the fact that Reeboks tend to last a long time without stretching after use